Friday, January 6, 2012

The Door: Dun, dun duuuuunnnnn.

Here is a little post from a "Trapee!":

Usually when people asked about the Traps my family has done, they expect to hear about flashy stories, with trap doors and large items that might fall from the ceiling  (not unlike an Indiana Jones movie). What they fail to realize is that more often than not, the most difficult part about a trap is the most simple part.

I think all my cousins would agree with me that the hardest part of the trap is opening the bedroom door! As a Kid we tried everything, from mirrors and secret cameras just to be able to see what was on the other side of the door. Once, my parents tied our door to another door, so that if we opened it, it would slam the other door shut knocking over a very precariously stacked pile of metal tools and cookie sheets. Sometime my dad would tie elastic to the door, so that when we started to open it, we would feel the pressure and stop. We would then spend the next 45 minutes trying to figure out what contraption existed on the other side.

My favorite trick my dad every played on the door was to disconnect the door handle backset so that we would twist and twist the door handle and it would never open the door. It took us 2 hours to get past this extraordinarily simple trap. The next year, we were so frustrated with the door handle that we took off every door handle in the entire house and hid them, a week before Christmas. Yes... that's right you could not lock the bathroom doors, but it was so worth it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment